Fortinet is a reputed brand in the network security field. Moreover, every network engineer wants to learn it. But it’s not easy to get access to a running firewall for a newbie. But, no one will give you a brand new firewall for your R&D if it is not purchased by you. As a result, you will practice it and master it on GNS3 firewall virtualization. Therefore, Technibas brings this tutorial “Fortinet firewall 6.4 on GNS3”.
Why this tutorial
So, here I will show you how to integrate Fortinet firewall 6.4 on GNS3 and basic firewall configuration. In addition, I assume that you have already installed the latest version of GNS3 on your PC. Similarly, If you have not yet installed it then you can follow my GNS3 installation tutorial.
Required files for installation
At first, to download this file you need a Forticloud account and make sure you download the KVM (FOS_VM64_KVM-v6-build1778-FORTINET.out.kvm.zip) version.
- Now open gns3 and navigate all devices and click new template.
2. Select Install an application from the GNS3 server(recommended).
3. Filter Firewall then click on FortiGate and hit the install button.
4. Select Install the appliance on GNS3 VM (recommended) and hit next. Make sure your GNS3 VM server is already configured.
5. Most importantly, in the Required files window for Fortinet 6.4.3, you need to click the create a new version button and create an appliance. Now click the Fortigate 6.4 and import the fortios.qcow2 and empty30G.qcow2.
6. It is almost done now you can follow the screen instruction and finish.
- At first, open a new blank project from file menu, then drag the newly installed Fortigate 6.4 from all device section and start the device.
- Right-click on Fortigate and open the console window, here you can see fortiOS first time booting processes. As a matter of fact, it takes a few minutes depending on your PC configuration.
3. Now log in to the firewall by default user id admin and a blank password. Here the firewall prompts you for a new password, set a suitable password on your own. Boom! now you can access the firewall.
Connect Fortinet to PC
- Firstly, drag Cloud on your project area and choose local server. Then right-click and configure it.
- Subsequently, in the cloud configuration window select your pc LAN interface and add it. Now connect it to a firewall port.
3. In your firewall console write the below command to set IP address (set same desktop subnet IP ).
- config system interface
- edit port9
- set mode static
- set ip 192.168.1.200/24
- set allowaccess ping https http telnet ssh
4. Now open any browser and write the given IP address and hit enter. It opens your FortiGate in GUI.
5. As you wish, Set the hostname and continue.
Connecting to the internet
- For reaching the internet you are setting up a static route in your Firewall.
- Click Network then select Static Route and hit Create New.
- Set Destination 0.0.0.0/0 Gateway Address as your desktop internet gateway and Interface section set connected firewall port.
4. Now from cli execute ping 126.96.36.199 or any wan IP or DNS you will see the ping reply.
That’s all for this article, here we learn how to install Fortinet firewall 6.4 on gns3 and how to configure it. In the next article, I will describe how to configure other stuff in Fortinet. Further, if you have any problem you can follow Technibas YouTube channel where you can see this article in video format. Lastly, you can comment for any queries and request new network and firewall related articles.